irish i may

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Adventures in Candy

A couple of days ago I made English Toffee. I would show a picture, but I have misplaced my camera! My home is a black hole these days.


It looked beautiful but was a total bust.  It's soft!  I knew as I poured it out that it was not right.  The bummer is that that recipe had  ONE POUND of butter and ONE POUND of chocolate as well as the nuts! Additionally I burned 8 oz of almonds in the oven while I ran to the grocery store for the tortillas that I had forgotten earlier in the day.  AAARRGH. I wish I could have flubbed something cheaper.  I think I know what I messed up, though.  


1.  I changed the recipe: very bad idea when candy making.
2. It was a very humid day and entirely too warm in my kitchen: also bad for candy making.


Back to the drawing board.   I also made peanut butter meltaways following this recipe:


1 cup of peanut butter
8 oz. of white chips
8 oz of semi-sweet chips


Melt all ingredients together in double boiler and then pipe into little candy cups. the microwave also works, if you have one that actually does work, which I don't!


They came out yummy but a little too soft.  Next time I will use less peanut butter. In the meantime, my son has some very happy friends at school.  He brings them samples most every day.

2 comments:

  1. Soft or not it sounds absolutely yummy. ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! I think I am going to turn it into cookies.

    ReplyDelete